29. April 2020
Dear friends, dear interested,
The corona virus has not only brought sufferings to thousands of families in Europe, it has also intensified divisions within the European Union. The European unification is once again in great danger. Europe is weakened when countries that have particularly benefited from the European single market do not act in solidarity. It also weakens Europe when countries expect European solidarity, but follow the myth of national sovereignty. We need a strong European democracy more than ever in the fight against climate change, for digital innovations and as a strong voice for Europe in the world.
That is why we - as Europeans from Italy and Germany - do not want to stand by and watch the impending demolition of our European home. After our broad Italian-German call www.weareinthistogether.eu, the next step follows now: We invite you to a public digital Citizens’ Assembly on how we can defend and advance European unification politically, in civil society and in business. We cordially invite you to be part of the first German-Italian digital Citizens’ Assembly on Europe! Listen to the short interventions of a wide variety of exciting speakers and bring your own ideas!
When? Thursday, April 30 2020, from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Who? Exciting speakers from Italian and German civil society; including:
- Mario Monti (Former EU Commissioner and Prime Minister of Italy)
- Francesca Cucchiara (Italian Green Youth)
- Gad Lerner (well-known Italian television journalist)
- Rossella Muroni (environmental activist and Member of the Italian Parliament)
- Prof. Dr. Michael Hüther (Director of the German Economic Institute)
- Luisa Neubauer (Fridays For Future Germany)
The assembly is moderated and organized by:
- Alexandra Geese and Sven Giegold (Green Members of the European Parliament)
- Franziska Brantner (European Policy Spokeswoman for the Greens in the German Parliament)
How & where? Our interactive webinar format allows all participants to ask oral and written questions and thus contribute their own ideas to the discussion. The webinar will be held in Italian and German and will be translated orally simultaneously.
Since places are limited, it is best to register here!
Please also share the invitation with other interested people!
We look forward to an exciting discussion with you and you.
With European greetings of solidarity
Alexandra Geese, Sven Giegold and Franziska Brantner